This brand has a program that donates part of the purchase price to charity.
Designed and created by and for women
The Fermentation Kit includes:
- 1 stainless steel unit with 1 FDA food-grade silicone gasket attached
- 1 quart-size (32 oz), wide-mouth standard mason jar
- 4 oz pack Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 pack of organic spices for Golden Sauerkraut recipe
- 1 replacement FDA food-grade silicone gasket
- Instruction manual
- Companion spice chart
- Compostable packaging box
Watch the tutorial videos below on how to assemble Kraut Source and the silicone gasket.
How to Assemble:
Recipe by Kraut Source:
- 3-1/2 cups (840 ml) filtered water
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons (15 - 30 ml) high-quality sea salt
- 6 – 8 Kirby or small Persian cucumbers
- 2 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) yellow or brown mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 rounded teaspoon (5 ml) of loose green tea leaves (organic if possible)
1. Bring filtered water to a boil. Pour into a glass, stainless steel, or ceramic bowl and dissolve the salt. Allow the brine to cool completely.
2. Trim off 1⁄4 in (6 mm) of the cucumbers at the blossom end.
3. Place the dill, bay leaf, mustard seeds, onion, garlic, and tea leaves into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar and pack in the cucumbers.
(If the whole cucumbers are long and exceed shoulder of the mason jar, cut them in half or into slices)
4. Cover the contents with the brine until it reaches about 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the top of the cucumbers.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight. Check every few days that there is water in the moat, and top off as needed.
6. Replace Kraut Source with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
Note: Trimming the cucumbers at the blossom end and adding tea leaves will help to keep your pickles crunchy.